Self-Introduction Letter

Self-Introduction 

Good day Professor Blackstone,

My name is Khant, and I am a freshman attending your critical thinking and communicating module. I had thoroughly enjoyed my time at Ngee Ann Polytechnic and graduated with a diploma in mechanical engineering. This was one of the reasons that led me to further pursue mechanical engineering in SIT.

I was initially fascinated by the hardware side of engineering and my love for software developed afterwards. When I first moved to Singapore, my young self was in awe of the concrete jungle that I would call home. My programming class in my first year of polytechnic sparked my passion for programming, showing me that the sky was the limit. Thus, I chose mechanical engineering as it combined both subfields.

I would attribute my abilities to adapt, take initiative and step outside of my comfort zone as key factors that have led me to where I am now. During my tenure as an intern and a soldier, I stepped up to address and communicate the growing grievances between my colleagues and superiors. As tensions cooled, they were more willing to offer help and provide feedback to improve our work life. Most of them pointed out the inefficiencies in handling data sheets due to the lack of formulas and macros. Writing several lines of formulas and macros for them also helped hone my craft in programming as I would have otherwise not been aware of them.

Though I have made significant strides in communication, I am still plagued with a stutter and the inability to convey my thoughts in a concise manner. This hampers my ability to speak to large crowds, as I am often full of ideas but lack the practice and know-how to properly articulate them. 

My current goals for this module are to overcome my stutter and be more coherent. I believe I am in good hands, as I am under the guidance of a professor who possesses both passion and enthusiasm for his module.

Yours Sincerely,

Linn Htoo Khant


Comments

  1. Clarity:
    Strength:
    The entire email was easy to understand and supported with accurate representations.

    Precision:
    Strength:
    The email was concise with just the right amount of details, not too wordy, and was a breeze to read.


    Accuracy
    Strength:
    Generally, there are no errors in grammar or language that I see.

    Significance:
    Strength:
    I feel that the letter is significant as through this letter, I was able to learn more about you.

    Relevance:
    Strength:
    All information presented in the letter was generally relevant to the letter's objective.

    Completeness:
    Strength:
    Generally complete, but parts that I've stated below in the weakness may need more explanation.

    Weakness:
    Maybe provide some evidence of instances where you stuttered as well as your inability to convey your thoughts concisely.

    I think you may have missed out on one of the specifications of the introductory letter. Specifically” What differentiates you from others (or, the steps toward a personal brand)”.

    Logicalness:
    Strength:
    The letter was written logically, I was able to understand it easily.

    Fairness:
    Strength:
    Generally, I feel that the letter was fair in terms of transparency where the strengths and weaknesses are well presented.

    Breadth:
    Strength:
    You can draw from a huge amount of experience to provide evidence for your points, thus I feel that there is a good amount of breadth in the letter.

    Depth:
    Strength:
    You often provided evidence to help readers understand the point better, which I felt provided depth to an otherwise shallow point with no further explanation or evidence

    ReplyDelete
  2. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hey Khant! You've provided a strong overview of your journey and challenges, and it's clear that you're committed to self-improvement. I'd like to offer some constructive feedback.

    For your first paragraph, I think you could bring the last sentence into your second paragraph, seeing how the second paragraph goes into the detail of your reason to pursue mechanical engineering degree in SIT.

    For the third paragraph, it's great to see that you were able to put your knowledge and IT skills into good use under uncomfortable situations. I really admire your willingness to take initiative and stepping out of your comfort zone!

    For the fourth paragraph, I can relate to your inability to convey thoughts, as I myself struggle to speak my thoughts often. Overall your letter is great, very relatable! Keep up the good work!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for your feedback Andy! I see your point for the second paragraph, but I wanted to include why I joined the degree in SIT after the previous sentence.

      Delete
  4. Hello Khant! Thank you for sharing about yourself in your letter. I appreciated how honest you were about your life and weakness. Through your letter, I am able to have a better grasp of your personality. It was refreshing to read about your ventures with internship and national service. The experience you’ve provided for it was also well-written and have much depth to them. I would hope you could have made it clearer when this particular experience happened. Was it during your national service or internship?

    Overall, your letter was concise, concrete and has much depth. I especially appreciated its vulnerability which made me connect with you better. It was also heart-warming to read that you are not bitter about your weakness but you’re taking an active stand towards overcoming your weakness. You have all my support Khant!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Ernest, thanks for your feedback! You're right, I could have been clearer with my particular experience, which happened in the army. I had other experiences during my internship, but decided not to include them so as to keep my letter concise.

      Delete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

“Communication skills are an essential component in the education of engineering students to facilitate not just students’ education but also to prepare them for their future careers.” Marc Riemer, Faculty of Engineering, Monash University (2007)